Suspect in Sunday Shooting Admits Involvement in Another Homicide Last Year

A 43-year-old Yakima man was shot and killed early Sunday morning in what police believe was a gang-related incident.  While being questioned, one of the suspects in the shooting told police he was involved in another homicide that occurred last October.

At about 12:30 am yesterday (May 15th), Yakima police responded to reports of shots being fired in the 900 block of LaSalle Street.  An officer on scene heard another round of shots and saw a silver Honda Accord fleeing northbound of Fair Avenue.  After a brief pursuit, the occupants of the car jumped from it and fled on foot.  The car collided with a home in the 900 block of South 7th Street.

The occupants of the Honda, an 18-year old male and a 16-year-old male, both Yakima residents, were caught by police and taken into custody.  A sawed-off .223 caliber Mini-14 rifle was found in the Honda.

While the pursuit of the Honda was underway, a caller to 9-1-1 reported a man had been shot in the chest in a house in the 900 block of LaSalle Street and was not breathing.  Yakima police officers responded to the home and administered CPR.  However, the 43-year-old man was pronounced deceased at the scene.

Witnesses told police the silver, Honda Accord slowly drove by the residence three times, circling the block each time. On the first and third passes, the suspects fired from the vehicle, striking the residence and the victim.

During an interview with police, the 18-year-old admitted to his involvement in the shooting on LaSalle Street as well as his involvement in the homicide of Joey Cantu on October 30, 2021 at 405 West Chestnut Street.  He was booked into Yakima County Jail on charges of 1st degree murder, 1st degree assault, drive-by shooting, eluding, and unlawful possession of a firearm 2nd degree.

The 16-year-old was booked into the Yakima County Juvenile Detention Center on charges of 1st degree murder, 1st degree assault, and drive-by shooting.

“Our patrol officers and detectives did such a great job getting these two suspects off the street quickly,” said Yakima Police Captain Jay Seely.  “We will now turn them over to Prosecutor Joe Brusic and his team to hold them accountable for their actions.”

Traducir / Translate »