The Yakima Police Department is comprised of exceptional employees who have a strong desire to make a difference in the Yakima community. We are looking for individuals with a high degree of integrity to join our innovative and professional team. If this describes you, and the type of organization you would like to be a part of, contact our Recruiting Officer, Hailie Meyers.
Below is an overview of the process to become a YPD Police Officer. The process can be expedited for Lateral Officers. Applicants can complete the hiring process in as little as a month to as long as six months depending on their ability to complete each stage of the process. Contact YPD to learn more.
For all applicants…
Pass the initial written and physical agility tests conducted through Public Safety Testing.
Pass the application screening process and interview examination.
Pass an extensive background check, a medical exam, psychological exam and polygraph test.
Additional for new recruits only:
Attendance and successful completion of 720 hours of state testing at the WA State Criminal Justice Training Center Basic Law Enforcement Academy.
Academy graduates enter the Field Training Program, partnering with an experienced officer for 14 weeks.
YPD Minimum Requirements…
- 21 years of age or older
- U.S. Citizen or lawful permanent resident
- Good command of English, both written and verbal
- High school graduate or equivalent
- Maintenance of good physical condition throughout testing process and during employment
- Good moral character and use of good judgment
- Possess normal color vision, and visual acuity of not less than 20/100 in each eye, corrected to 20/20 in better eye and 20/30 in lesser eye
- Able to meet and maintain department standards for firearm qualification and all applicable State and Federal laws to possess and carry a firearm
Lateral Officers (in addition to above):
- Have been certified as a law enforcement officer in WA or another state
- Have two years continuous law enforcement services in last three years
- Out-of-state Laterals must successfully complete the two week WSCJTC Equivalency Course within one year of employment
Lateral officers also qualify for an expedited onboarding process.
This process can take anywhere from three to six months!
Lateral officers also qualify for an expedited onboarding process. Timeline may vary depending on scheduling.
Potential Disqualification Guidelines – Drug Usage
The following actions may result in disqualification. However, YPD makes determinations on applications on a case-by-case basis.
- Use of any illegal drug within the last year
- Use of marijuana within the last year
- Having ever injected amphetamines/methamphetamine
- Having ever illegally used opiates/narcotics (heroin, morphine, etc.) or abused prescribed opiates/narcotics
- Having ever used cocaine over five times regardless of timeframe
- Having ever injected cocaine
- Having ever participated in the manufacturing, selling, offering to sell, distribution, or transporting for sale of any illegal drugs/narcotics, regardless of the timeframe
- Having ever used any illegal drugs after submitting an application with any law enforcement agency and/or within the last five years
- Having used non-prescribed oral or injectable steroids over five sequences/cycles within the last two years
- Having used illegal drugs while employed by a law enforcement agency regardless of the timeframe
- Having used marijuana/hashish over 15 times
- Having used hallucinogenic drugs (mushrooms, LSD, PCP, etc.) in the past 10 years
- Having used amphetamines/methamphetamine over five times
- Having swallowed/sniffed/smoked illegal amphetamines or methamphetamine even one time
- Having used crack cocaine even one time within the past five years
- Having used free-based cocaine/paste even one time within the past five years
Other Opportunities at YPD
In addition to Police and Corrections Officers, YPD has non-commissioned positions, including Communications (911 and Dispatch), Police Services and Records, and Administrative functions. For more information on these positions, please visit the City of Yakima Job Descriptions.